AAS 17 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Commercial Bank, Swynnerton Plan, Usufruct

72 views3 pages
JEAN DAVISON
1. 5% of the land in Kenya is owned by women. 80% of the food in Kenya is produced by women.
2. In many agricultural tasks, some gender overlap occurs that tends to be crop-specific. Both men
and women work on the production of tea and coffee.
3. Traditionally, women gained access to land as wives. The women had complete control over the
land they cultivated.
4. The Serto Pla uderied oes relatie eooi stailit i rural areas for three
reasons: (1) it gave precedence to individual ownership invested in male heads of households
and in turn marginalized the usufruct rights of women formerly guaranteed under lineage
tenure; (2) because land as collateral was required for credit and few women held land in their
own names, the Plan created disadatages i oes ailities to seure redit for agriultural
improvements; (3) the Plan fostered the capitalization of agriculture by encouraging export crop
production by Africans for the first time a development that further marginalized the labour of
women in food production.
5. None of the Gikuyu women owned the land they worked on.
6. The economic situation of unmarried women is precarious in contemporary Kenya because she
ust either leaer her fathers hoe to eoe a age earer i a ura center or she
reais at hoe ad otriutes her laour to her others produtio uit.
7. The economic situation of separated women is equally insecure and difficult as never married
women. A separated woman usually must return to her natal home where she becomes
dependent upon her father for land to support herself and her children.
CHARLES FONCHINGONG
1. Women constitute 96% of the Cameroonian population engaged in food production. 94.6% of
the informal sector are women.
2. In urban areas of West Africa, women compromise 60-80% of the work force in trading.
3. Studies oduted sho the ritial iput of the girl/hild i support of oes iforal setor
activities. Women in this sector were said to bear a triple constraint of labour, requiring the
involvement of children until late in the night.
4. Njangi refers to savings and credit groups. Women make use of njangi as their main source of
start-up capital because they have little or no collateral.
5. 8% of women use banks as a source of capital. They are able to gain access to loans from banks
through the intervention of their husbands.
6. Women running households complained of lack of access to productive resources, especially
land.
MAIREAD DUNNE
1. In Ghana and Botswana, drop-out rate was proportionately higher for girls but it was of a
significantly greater magnitude in Ghana.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Jean davison: 5% of the land in kenya is owned by women. 80% of the food in kenya is produced by women. In many agricultural tasks, some gender overlap occurs that tends to be crop-specific. Both men and women work on the production of tea and coffee: traditionally, women gained access to land as wives. A separated woman usually must return to her natal home where she becomes dependent upon her father for land to support herself and her children. Charles fonchingong: women constitute 96% of the cameroonian population engaged in food production. In urban areas of west africa, women compromise 60-80% of the work force in trading: studies (cid:272)o(cid:374)du(cid:272)ted sho(cid:449) the (cid:272)riti(cid:272)al i(cid:374)put of the girl/(cid:272)hild i(cid:374) support of (cid:449)o(cid:373)e(cid:374)(cid:859)s i(cid:374)for(cid:373)al se(cid:272)tor activities. Women in this sector were said to bear a triple constraint of labour, requiring the involvement of children until late in the night: njangi refers to savings and credit groups.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers