AAS 17 Lecture 4: Week 4 Questions

51 views2 pages
WAMBUI WA KARANJA
1. This atile desies oe uetly egaged i oogaous uios as iside ies.
2. A iside ife is feuetly, ut ot alays, a elite oa ho has ee aied i a huh
wedding or through statutory law (usually both) and usually subscribes to the Christian ideology
of a oogaous aiage, at least as a ideal. A iside ife is feuetly suspiious ad
oteptuous of sigle oe ho ae of aiageale age.
3. A outside ife usually has hilde hose pateity is akoledged y the a i the
relationship.
4. Titi is a graduate of the University of Ibadan. Titi made the deisio of eoig a outside
ife o he o.
5. Chinyere was unable to complete her secondary education because she had to work to support
he youge othes ad sistes. He husad had solved her financial problems by buying her
a two bedroom flat and giving her money with which she had started a boutique. Chinyere
expects, and regularly receives, money for maintenance.
6. Onome is a research scientist (she has a PhD) in one of the Nigerian universities. Tunde, her
current husband, initially married someone else because his family pressured him to marry a girl
from their village.
7. Temi is a British-trained doctor now in private practice. She has lived in England for years. Temi
divorced her first husband because he had no money.
8. Female undergraduates in Nigerian universities avoid dating fellow undergraduates and prefer
elatioships ith atue e eause they ill set the up iely iediately afte
graduation.
VICTORIA HOSEGOOD
1. The mean age of marriage in South Africa for men was higher that all other regions of Africa,
and that of women was one of the highest.
2. The apartheid-era policies not only required most couples from rural areas to live apart, but
when one or both partners took up paid employment actively sought to prevent them staying
together or visiting each other elsewhere.
3. Parents and siblings often proved a more reliable and enduring source of emotional, financial,
and material support than marital partners.
4. Fo otepoay Zulu oe doig ithout aiage is ieed y some commentators as a
positive choice and indeed one of the survival strategies used by disadvantaged poorer women.
5. The data suggests that non-marriage and non-marital cohabiting is increasing in KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa.
6. The prevalence of polygamy is declining across all age groups among the Zulu.
7. For a large proportion of young couples, the perceived costs of marriage appear to outweigh the
benefits, and the limited sanctions against extra-marital childbearing in many families reduce
marriage as a necessary entry to parenting.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chinyere expects, and regularly receives, money for maintenance: onome is a research scientist (she has a phd) in one of the nigerian universities. Tunde, her current husband, initially married someone else because his family pressured him to marry a girl from their village: temi is a british-trained doctor now in private practice. Temi divorced her first husband because he had no money: female undergraduates in nigerian universities avoid dating fellow undergraduates and prefer (cid:396)elatio(cid:374)ships (cid:449)ith (cid:858)(cid:373)atu(cid:396)e (cid:373)e(cid:374)(cid:859) (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause they (cid:449)ill (cid:858)set the(cid:373) up (cid:374)i(cid:272)ely(cid:859) i(cid:373)(cid:373)ediately afte(cid:396) graduation. Third generation: only two of these eight young women have been circumcised, of this groups of eight young women, only three were married in 1990. It is likely that some of these women, most of whom already have children, will never marry. They (cid:449)e(cid:396)e (cid:374)ot happy a(cid:374)d spoke of (cid:374)ot (cid:271)ei(cid:374)g (cid:862)lu(cid:272)ky e(cid:374)ough(cid:863) to fi(cid:374)d a hus(cid:271)a(cid:374)d.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers