CHID 230 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Deaf Studies, Multiple Sclerosis

15 views2 pages

Document Summary

Title: reframing: from hearing loss to deaf gain. Rather, the authors explore how deafness adds to the beauty and diversity of human society in many ways. While one argument offers that deaf culture should be preserved for its own sake, the authors elaborate on this belief. First, the authors argue that deaf culture is of great importance to our understanding of human biodiversity, making our species more healthy and advanced. Additionally, this can be applied to our understanding of language. Where language once used to be only understood as exclusively verbal, the deaf community has helped redefine societal understandings of language, encompassing sign language and reestablishing our. Conceptions of the human potential for language : this piece highlighted some rather alarming information for me. Before reading this essay i was ignorant to the institutionalized oppression faced by the deaf community. For so long i wrongly understood deafness as a disability to be fixed or made better .

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers