PSY 433 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Sensory Memory, Echoic Memory, Iconic Memory

37 views3 pages

Document Summary

Sensory memory: sensory: having to do with a sensory system (rather than a higher order cognitive aspects, modality: the mode of perception/presentation (visual, auditory, olfaction, precategorical: based on low-level sensory information. There must be a distinction between perception (info that is still present in the environment) and memory (the stimulus is gone, must remember, perhaps with a sensory trace) These (cid:862)tra(cid:272)es(cid:863) are sensory memory and they tend to be short lived. General sensory memory: you must have a way to briefly retain sensory info to allow for later integration, does(cid:374)(cid:859)t (cid:373)atter (cid:449)hat ki(cid:374)d of se(cid:374)sor(cid:455) i(cid:374)fo (cid:449)e are taki(cid:374)g a(cid:271)out, most research focused on visual and auditory sensory memory. Iconic memory visual sensory memory (800 milisec-1 sec(!): echoic memory auditory sensory memory (2 seconds) longer. Perli(cid:374)g(cid:859)s i(cid:374)terpretatio(cid:374): precategorical letters stored as pattern of light rather than set of letters, decaying lasts a short amount of time regardless on input, visual should(cid:374)(cid:859)t depe(cid:374)d o(cid:374) i(cid:374)fo fro(cid:373) other (cid:373)odalities.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers