ARH 156 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Le Moulin De La Galette (Van Gogh Series), James Abbott Mcneill Whistler, Edgar Degas

36 views3 pages
7 Apr 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Impressionism: characterized by relatively small, thin, yet visible brush strokes, open composition, emphasis on accurate depiction, and ordinary subject matter, claude monet b. i. Used short brushstrokes of pyre color on canvas without any preliminary sketch b. ii. Rouen cathedral: the portal (in sun) b. ii. 1. b. ii. 2. Exhibited 20 different paintings showing the fa ade at different times of day under various climatic conditions b. iii. Application of paint contributes to the sense of energy in this railway terminal: gustave caillebotte c. i. Features cutoff buildings and figures suggesting the transitory nature of modern life: camille pissarro d. i. Impressionist view of a busy paris square seen several stories above street level d. i. 3. A lot in common with photos: pierre-auguste renoir e. i. Dance at le moulin de la galette e. i. 1. e. i. 2. e. i. 3. Dappled in sunlight and shade, artfully blurred into the figures to produce the effect of floating and fleeting light: edgar degas f. i. Degas used japanese model poses in this impressionist g.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers