KIN 232 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Superior Vena Cava, Mean Arterial Pressure, Sympathetic Nervous System

110 views15 pages

Document Summary

If a vessel constricts to half of its size, then the resistance goes up. O2 is required for the smcs to contract, so as o2 rises the sphincters close and as o2 decreases they open: examples. 30: metabolic theory, high amounts of o2 and nutrients cause smooth muscle cells to. 100%; but within 30 seconds 2minutes flow decreases to just 15% above normal: this is attributed to local control but the 15% gain is the responsibility of long term control. In young animals and young tissues (scars, cancerous tissue) reconstruction of new blood vessels begins within a few days. Longer in older senescent animals: oxygen plays a role in angiogenesis i. e. retrolental fibroblasia, premature infants placed in high o2 environment which leads to dege(cid:374)eratio(cid:374) of so(cid:373)e reti(cid:374)al (cid:448)essels i(cid:374) i(cid:374)fa(cid:374)t"s eyes. When removed from o2 tent, the great drop in o2 causes rapid vascular overgrowth into vitreous humor and eventually leads to blindness: angiogenic factors.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers