SOCY 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Invisibility, Heredity, Eugenics

58 views6 pages

Document Summary

Significance of race: o(cid:272)iologi(cid:272)al i(cid:374)te(cid:396)est i(cid:374) . Continued significance of race in the us and globally: denying that racism, xenophobia, and ethnocentrism exist serves only to perpetuate them (holocaust, internment. Camps: racial and ethnic difference problems arise when those differences are defined in a way that certain group confronts prejudicial attitudes and discriminatory conduct. Race: social definition based on some real or presumed physical, biological characteristic, such as skin color or hair texture, as well as shared lineage, brief history. Serves to differentiate groups of people and to create hierarchical power structures that serve to empower some at the expense of others. Tool for imperial conquests, to realign power structure, and to exploit those with limited power. Social darwinist approach- (cid:862)su(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:448)al of the fittest(cid:863) approach to racial inequality. Eugenics: race should be distinguishable based on genetic composition, assumes criminal behavior, intelligence, and disease are controlled by race, contemporary visuals of race- ferguson, mo shooting,

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers