PGY 300 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Fokker E.Ii, Nernst Equation, Membrane Potential

122 views3 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 5 and 8: summary of the structure of neuron, dendrites: can be many usually short, axon: usually one, transfer electrical signal c. i) fast c. ii) can do computation of the signals c. iii) Analog: singular, binary, adding and subtracting signals c. iv) 2 equal fibers from process, dendrite the cell body fused with axon. Smell and vision: glial cells non-neuronal cells a. i) multiple functions. More complicated a. ii) production of the myelin sheath (a. ii. 1) Mechanism: just surround a small portion of the axon, then the glial cell wrap repeatedly (a. ii. 3. a) Node of ranvier: a place to regenerate signal, reboost the signal up, very small a. iii) Remove neural transmitter: electrical terms, charge, current, voltage, conductance, voltage of a neuron b. i) resting voltage: -70 mv, consider big b. ii) can change its voltage by excitation or inhibition (b. ii. 1) Inhibition: hyperpolarization, k+ (out) and cl: experiment: the bath never changes the voltage, stages 0, mechanism d. i) imbalance: so that ions can move (d. i. 1)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers