WLC 215 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Pragmatics, Presupposition, Written Language

35 views3 pages

Document Summary

Language is a world in of itself, but also a world connected to the real world, in all sorts of different ways. Two people speaking the same language may come to different conclusions as to the meaning of certain words/phrases/sentences/general discourse. This can be due to difference in culture, upbringing, native language, geographical location. Context includes the real world, but it also includes culture. Presupposition: when i talk, i assume that there are certain things i don"t have to explain. I(cid:374) e(cid:374)glish it is i(cid:373)plied that you are goi(cid:374)g to get t(cid:449)o separate sandwiches, or that you are going out to get lunch. Sandwich has a concrete reference- food between two pieces of bread, but also a prototype of a lunch meal: a foreign speaker may be confused. People from italo-american families know that things about italian meals and cooking that regular. What they do not know, is that real italians do not eat certain italo-american dishes.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers