THAR 280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: The Acharnians, Ancient Greek Comedy, The Suppliants (Euripides)

53 views4 pages

Document Summary

3 types of greek plays: comedy, mainly satirical in nature: men in power a. i. Poke fun at politicians, philosophers, and fellow artists: aristophanes: first master of comedy, menander: plays like sitcoms d. Mime, phallic rites, and revelry: wildly imaginative material, based on a happy idea f. i. Lysistrata: bawdiness emphasized by costumes, as in tragedy, masks were worn, new comedy. Established 320 bc, time of alexander the great. With the decline of tragedy after euripides" death (406 bc) i. ii. i. iii. i. iv. i. v. Comedy of manners, focus more on urban life and life of individuals i. vi. 1. Erotic adventures of a young athenian and how his life is affected by the world around him i. vii. Catharsis is a purification or purging of the emotions through art. A metaphor used by aristotle in the poetics to describe the effects of true tragedy on the spectator. The use is derived from the medical term katharsis (greek: purgation or.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers