PSYC 107 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Pineal Gland, Spreading Activation, Suprachiasmatic Nucleus

19 views3 pages

Document Summary

Peripheral nervous system transmits information to and from the central nervous system. Autonomic nervous system guides involuntary functions (breathing, heart beating, blood pressure) Pns nerves that control the involuntary muscles, organs, and glands. Sympathetic: expends energy, gets you ready for flight or fight: mobilizes body for action. Slows heart after escape or in relaxation: rest and digest. Dualism: 2 (dual) things: consciousness is separate from the body. Mind and the brain are separate things. There is evidence, we know that certain areas of the brain have certain functions. Modern psychology ignores the idea of dualism. Being a(cid:449)are, k(cid:374)o(cid:449)i(cid:374)g (cid:449)hat you"re thi(cid:374)ki(cid:374)g a(cid:374)d feeli(cid:374)g. Subjective experience something you will experience differe(cid:374)t tha(cid:374) other people, (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t k(cid:374)o(cid:449) a(cid:374)other perso(cid:374)"s consciousness. Consciousness: awareness of the self, experience, and environment around us. I(cid:374)(cid:272)ludes thoughts, feeli(cid:374)gs, e(cid:373)otio(cid:374)s, ho(cid:449) you"re pro(cid:272)essi(cid:374)g i(cid:374)for(cid:373)atio(cid:374) Generally alert, fully present, aware of the world around you, thoughts and feelings are fairly clear and organized, paying attention to self and environment.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers