ECON 203 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Aggregate Demand, Potential Output, Business Cycle

43 views3 pages

Document Summary

Econ 203: principles of macroeconomics - lecture 16: fiscal policy. Fiscal policy: changes in federal taxes and purchases that are intended to achieve macroeconomic policy objectives. Some forms of government spending and taxes automatically increase or decrease along the business cycle; these are automatic stabilizers. I. e. unemployment insurance payments are typically larger during a recession. However, discretionary fiscal policy refers to intentional actions the federal government takes to change spending or taxes. What does the federal government use its money to purchase. Everything else (i. e. salaries of fbi agents, operation of national parks, funding for scientific research, etc ) About half of the federal government"s expenditures are spent on transfer payments (i. e. social security, medicare, and unemployment insurance). The rest is typically spent on grants to state and local governments to fund their activities, like crime prevention, education, etc and on paying interest on the federal debt. Where does the federal government get its money.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers