PSY 205 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Abraham Maslow, B. F. Skinner, Evolutionary Psychology

19 views4 pages
amethystllama847 and 38 others unlocked
PSY 205 Full Course Notes
PSY 205 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
33 documents

Document Summary

Chapter 1: what is psychology, philosophy and physiology psychology a. i. Scientific study of human and animal behavior and mental processes: psychologist role, laboratory a. i. Evaluate and treat psychological disorders: a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe a. i. Select a research method to design the study. Manipulation of one variable under controlled conditions to observe any changes in a second variable as a result a. i. 4. b. Variable = a measurable condition or characteristic a. i. 4. b. i. Can be something you can measure blood pressure a. i. 4. b. ii. Extraneous variable - anything else that could effect the experiment a. i. 4. b. v. 1. Ex) want to find out how the crowds noise level will effect the basketball teams performance a. i. 4. b. v. 1. a. Why we cannot manipulate the variables a. i. 4. b. vi. 1. naturalistic observation a. i. 4. b. vi. 2. case studies a. i. 4. b. vi. 2. a. In depth study on one particular person a. i. 4. b. vi. 3. surveys a. i. 4. c. Sampling getting a subset of population a. i. 4. c. ii. Population entire group you"re interested in a. i. 4. c. iii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers