A PSY 333 Lecture 8: Week 8

9 views2 pages

Document Summary

What is inherited is likely a vulnerability to negative affect, and certain environmental stressors needed for these disorders can b expressed. Children with parents of depression are 2-3x more likely to develop depression. Structural and functional abnormalities in areas of the brain. Role of neurotransmitter has been the focus (serotonin, norepinephrine) Beck-errors in thinking results in cognitive distortions. The negative view of self, others and the future (cognitive triad) Internal, stable and global attributions for the cause of negative events. The relationship between negative thinking and mood disturbances. Depression related to the devaluation of self, world, future. The self: error in thinking, cognitive distortion, cognitive deception i"m worthless . The world: everyone hates me because i"m worthless . The future: i"ll never be good at anything because everyone hates me . Peer relations: few friendships, loneliness, isolation, rejection, and withdrawal. Families and children with depression: poorer communication, over- involvement, less warmth and support.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers