B MGT 341 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Social Loafing, Procrastination, Group Cohesiveness

34 views4 pages
Groups and teams
Stages of Group Development
Stage 1: Forming
Group members tend to be uncertain and anxious about their roles, whose in charge and the
group’s goals
Mutual trust is low
Stage 2: Storming
Time of testing
Individuals try to determine how they fit into the power structure
Procrastination may occur
Stage 3: Norming
Questions about authority and power are resolved through unemotional, matter-of-fact group
discussion
Group cohesiveness the e feelig egis idig group eers together
Stage 4: Performing
Activity focused on solving task problems
Climate of open communication, strong cooperation, and lots of helping behavior
Stage 5: Adjourning
Work is done
Time to move on to other things
Forming Stage
Initial entry of members to a team.
Member challenges
o Getting to know each other
o Discovering what is considered acceptable behavior
o Deteriig the group’s real task
o Defining group rules
Storming Stage
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Stage 1: forming: group members tend to be uncertain and anxious about their roles, whose in charge and the group"s goals, mutual trust is low. Individuals try to determine how they fit into the power structure: procrastination may occur. Stage 3: norming: questions about authority and power are resolved through unemotional, matter-of-fact group discussion, group cohesiveness the (cid:862)(cid:449)e(cid:863) feeli(cid:374)g (cid:271)egi(cid:374)s (cid:271)i(cid:374)di(cid:374)g group (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)ers together. Stage 4: performing: activity focused on solving task problems, climate of open communication, strong cooperation, and lots of helping behavior. Stage 5: adjourning: work is done, time to move on to other things. Initial entry of members to a team: member challenges, getting to know each other, discovering what is considered acceptable behavior, deter(cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:374)g the group"s real task, defining group rules. Storming stage: a period of high emotionality and tension among group members, member challenges, hostility and infighting, formation of coalitions and cliques, clarifi(cid:272)atio(cid:374) of (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)ers" expe(cid:272)tatio(cid:374)s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers