PSY 240 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Positive Illusions, Procrastination

55 views3 pages

Document Summary

Lecture #10: what determines how people feel about themselves, self-discrepancy theory (higgins, 1989, self-discrepancy theory (higgins, 1989, actual self (self-concept) I want to be : actual self fails short of self guides = negative outcomes. Ideal/actual discrepancy: dejection emotions = sadness, dissatisfaction: ought/actual discrepancy: agitation emotions = anxiety, fear, worry, self-discrepancy theory (higgins, 1989, self-esteem depends on a number of factors, amount of discrepancy. The importance of the discrepancy to the self. Private self-consciousness: tendency to introspect about inner thoughts and feelings. Public self-consciousness: tendency to focus on outer public image: personality in the self , private vs. public self-consciousness. Private self-consciousness: tendency to introspect about inner thoughts and feelings: sensitive to feelings, motivated to meet their own standards (ought & ideal) Procrastination: method #2: self-handicapping, rhodewalt, et al (1984) self-handicapping scale. I tend to make excuses when i do something wrong. I tend to put things off to the last minute.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers