POL S 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: New Federalism, Dual Federalism, Cooperative Federalism

56 views4 pages
8 Jan 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Federalism: defined as the division of powers between the federal and state governments. Unitary system: federal govt"s make most important decisions and state governments have lil independent power (generally implement decisions of high governments). Federal system: federal govt shares power with lower governments. Nations with diverse ethnic groups will generally have this system. Lower level of gov"t have generally significant independent power to set policy in some areas e. g. education/social programs/imposing taxes. Expressed powers: specific powers granted by the constitution to. Congress (article i, section 8) and to the president (article ii) Implied powers: powers from the necessary and proper clause of. Article i, section 8, of the constitution; not expressed, but implied by interpreting expressed powers. Necessary and proper clause: from article i, section 8, of the. Constitution, letting congress make all laws necessary and proper to carry out its expressed powers.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers