ENS 333 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme, Heart Failure, Ace Inhibitor

57 views5 pages

Document Summary

Echoes study: echocardiographic heart of england screening study, 6162 patients screened and followed, from 4 populations: At risk for hf (borderline systolic dysfunction) Need to treat volume and pressure overload. Why would there be a decrease in perfusion in the kidney: blood loss, heart failure, dehydration, etc, kidney releases renin and combines with angiotensin i. Ace converts angiotensin i to angiotensin ii. Ace (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitors will prevent angiotensin i from being converted to angiotensin ii. If aldosterone is blocked: water is not resorbed as well. Asymptomatic: prescribed ace inhibitors and beta blockers. Ace inhibitors presents the conversion of angiotensin i to ii. Allows the heart to fill more during diastole. Heart rate is depressed after rehabilitation: stroke volume is improved and venous return is better. Lactate concentration is lower: indicates that oxidative metabolism is taken care of very proportionally. Likely due to the increase in mitochondrial density and increase in the capillaries of the muscle.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers