01:920:101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Investment, Protestant Work Ethic, Harriet Martineau

57 views7 pages

Document Summary

In many ways we are freer than we think (things we believe are natural are actually created by humans, as a product of culture: ex. Why do most births happen on tuesdays? (2) social solidarity: how are societies held together? (esp. modern societies) (a) mechanical solidarity: everyone feeling/doing the same thing (i) (ii) Characteristic of small, traditional societies (society was entirely dependent on each member being a productive member of the group) Times of peace than in times of war. In seeking to explain social change, marx looked primarily towards the economy. Base: the material aspects of society (i. e. means of production such as factories, material resources, relationships between people involved in production) Superstructure: all other aspects of society (i. e. culture, norms, social institutions, ideology) - Forces of production (progress and develop fast) (a) means of production (b) skill, knowledge, efforts (c) tools and raw materials (ii)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers