10:832:243 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Detroit Free Press, Prenatal Care, Peripheral Vision

62 views7 pages

Document Summary

1 lecture 8: vulnerable populations and urban demographics. Describe the relationship between vulnerability and cumulative risk understand the role of segregation and other factors related to race/ethnicity, and its relationship to vulnerability in u. s. populations. In any environment, some populations are more vulnerable than others in public health, vulnerability. Sometimes we use the wo(cid:396)d (cid:862)fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)(cid:863) i(cid:374)stead of o(cid:396) i(cid:374) additio(cid:374) to (cid:862)(cid:396)isk(cid:863), as i(cid:374) (cid:862)(cid:396)isk fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)(cid:863) some populations are exposed to multiple risk factors, which typically affects their health status and health outcomes. Cumulative risk = series of factors that together are responsible for some populations having worse health status or health outcomes than others. Risk factors can affect people across their lifespans. Risks can accumulate over time, and may result in a process called weathering. Weathering is due to a variety of acute and chronic stresses, and results in prematurely aging and/or a lifelong decrease in health status (cid:1008) introduction, cont"d .

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers