01:119:115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 22: Ingroups And Outgroups, Paraphyly, Fokker E.Ii

39 views2 pages

Document Summary

Linnaean classification and phylogeny an differ from each other. Proposed classification system reflecting evolution - only recognize groups with common ancestor and its descendents: the basics of phylogenetic tree, phylogenetic tree - branching diagram that represents evolutionary history of group of organisms i. Show patterns of descent, not phylogenetic history: represents hypothesis about evolutionary relationships, relationships depicted as series of dichotomies (2 branch points, components of phylogenetic tree i. ii. iii. iv. v. vi. Branch point - divergence of two species from common ancestor. Sister taxa - groups of organisms that share immediate common ancestor. Rooted tree - one branch with most recent common ancestor. Basal taxon - diverges early in history or group and originate near the common ancestor of group. Polytomy - branch from which two or more than 2 groups emerge and evolutionary relationships not clear. Similarities ned to be the results of homology, not analogy: sorting homology from analogy i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers