HIST 020 Lecture Notes - Navigation Acts, First Act, George Whitefield

53 views5 pages

Document Summary

Unifying experiences & towards difficulty with england, 1700"s: three general unifying experiences, economic. To be called an american was an insult: answered to parliament and the king. Religion, enlightenment, revival: wide variety of religions in colonies, puritan, church of england (anglican), quaker, catholic, jewish, atheist, Islam (african slaves: deists/deism, enlightenment (reason) i. ii. iii. 1700"s (18th century) philosophical movement where reason and experience were central. Think through situations and reason them out (rationality) Also used reason to improve their society: sir isaac newton i. Very famous deist: why do the planets orbit the sun in an elliptical instead of a circle, gravity. Applied the same reasoning to determining one"s relationship with. Is not vengeful; is orderly and predictable, but also mysterious. In order to understand god, one must study nature (god"s creation: beginnings of science iv. There is a natural order and natural rights: american philosophical society (1769) i. John adams (deist leaning: the great awakening.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers