BIOL 129 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: 3 Lbs, Submandibular Gland, Ileum

14 views9 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

The journey through the gi tract: first stop oral/buccal cavity, functions: Ingestion: intake of food i: mechanical digestion: chewing, etc. iii. iv. v. Lubrication of food make it easier to swallow. Breakdown of materials via enzymes: lingual lipase: breaks down fats, amylase: breaks down carbohydrates. ****absorption is not a function of the mouth**** b: fauces : opening to pharynx, uvula : dangling process i. ii. Laryngopharynx: epiglottis : flap of cartilage at top of larynx, closes off larynx during swallowing, swallowing: Tongue collects food into bolus and forces through fauces to oropharynx. Superior = skeletal i: middle = skeletal and smooth iii. Inferior = smooth muscle: gerd : gastroesophageal reflux disease heartburn. Stomach aids esophagus and causes burning pain (heartburn) Can be treated with antacids i. ii. iii: stomach, four regions: i. ii. iii. iv. Cardiac (mucous glands: mucous glands to buffer stomach acidity. Pyloric: cardiac sphincter at top and pyloric sphincter at bottom.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers