PHIL 008 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Dualism (Philosophy Of Mind), Moe Williams, Pythagorean Theorem

8 views2 pages
29 Oct 2020
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

In the sixth meditation (which you hopefully read), descartes does all the following: responds to his dreaming argument, argues that mind and body are genuinely distinct entities, with completely different properties. Tries to explain how mind and body are related: the argument that bodies exist, sense-perception involves passivity (my sense-perceptions are involuntary) It can"t be (a), (b), or (c), since then god would be a deceiver: conc. Bodies act on me causing me to have sense-perceptions: conc2. If descartes is right, knowledge of the existence of bodies depends on an inference. Since we know god exists, we can know that, where our experiences are sufficiently coherent, then we are awake: argument that my mind (a thinking substance) and my body (an extended substance) are distinct substances. If my mind and my body have distinct properties, then my mind and my body are distinct substances: my mind and my body have distinct properties.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers