48 views2 pages
20 Oct 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor
Media and crime
There are issues with media portrayals of different groups of people
For instance, reports on crime committed by people of color is often reported on at higher rates than
reports on crime of white folks.
There are also issues with the images used in reports of crimes.
White people are ofte portraed i a etter light. Oe artile was titled Teas ops arrest adorale
drug kigpi
The war on drugs
The war on drugs in the U.S. has primarily been focused on increased policing and sentencing reform
that harshly punishes drug offenders.
For instance, many states have instituted mandatory minimum sentences for people found guilty of drug
related crimes.
States were rewarded with federal funds for agreeing to pass sentencing reform
John Oliver- Mandatory Minimums
School-To-Prison Pipeline
Students in the U.S. schools are increasing coming into contact with the criminal justice system earlier
More ad ore shools eploig resoure offiers
Children with behavioral issues are increasingly funneled directly from their schools into the
juvenile justice systems
Researchers find that even one suspension drop 9th graders likelihood of graduating high school by 25%
(Balfanz, Byrnes and Fox 2012)
1. Further, not all students are disciplined by teachers at the same rate
a. Students with disabilities are extremely overrepresented in suspension rates
b. Black and Hispanic students are also overrepresented
i. The justie of eduatio departet has stated that raial disriiatio i
school discipline is a real prole
Mississippi was recently investigated by the justice department for civil rights violations against students
of color (Kauffman 2012)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

There are issues with media portrayals of different groups of people. For instance, reports on crime committed by people of color is often reported on at higher rates than reports on crime of white folks. There are also issues with the images used in reports of crimes. White people are ofte(cid:374) portra(cid:455)ed i(cid:374) a (cid:271)etter light. O(cid:374)e arti(cid:272)le was titled (cid:862)te(cid:454)as (cid:272)ops arrest adora(cid:271)le drug ki(cid:374)gpi(cid:374)(cid:863) The war on drugs in the u. s. has primarily been focused on increased policing and sentencing reform that harshly punishes drug offenders. For instance, many states have instituted mandatory minimum sentences for people found guilty of drug related crimes. States were rewarded with federal funds for agreeing to pass sentencing reform. Students in the u. s. schools are increasing coming into contact with the criminal justice system earlier. Children with behavioral issues are increasingly funneled directly from their schools into the juvenile justice systems.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers