SOC-UA 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: George Herbert Mead, Herbert Blumer, Shavit

44 views2 pages

Document Summary

Expanding universal socials background has only limited effect on labor market outcomes after shaping school selection (ex: hout 1988) Persistent inequality and continues salience of social origin effects on educational outcomes (shavit and blossfeld) Key role of education system and educational transitions: education transition sort and sieve students based on ability and ascriptive characteristics, life course outcomes (ex. Occupation, marriage, incarceration, etc. ) strongly related to educational attainments. Growing post-1974 social inequality in income and many other domains. The i and the me: the i is the principle of action and impulse, in its action it can change social structure; all of the attitudes of others taken into oneself are the me . Looking glass self self-identity is a product of understanding how others see you: bridging linkage of distinct ideas, amplifying clarification of idea, extensions expansions of idea, transformations change of ideas (cooley 1902) Tradition associated with george herbert mead, herbert blumer. Meaning created in localized symbolic human interaction.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers