SOCL 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Parenting Styles, Erving Goffman, Biological Determinism

29 views2 pages

Document Summary

Karina da rosa: socialization, learning the rules of the game without realizing it i. Overview: people conform to standards even in the absence of explicit rules a. Internalization of social rules and conventions, which makes us see conformity as the natural order of things: we exist in societies and societies exist within us ii. Rose coser: role structures and individual autonomy, chart. Conflicting expectations: role structure as the seed for individual autonomy iii. Importance of socialization iv: biological determinism is limited, socialization is critical for normal human development, lack of socialization and linguistic opportunities promotes cognitive development delay v. Internalized role relationships: stages of socialization, play and the significant other i. Kids playing with dolls superimpose the roles that their significant others play onto themselves: games and the generalized other, conclusions, self and society are intricately interwoven, societies are an ongoing accomplishment vi. The sociology of erving goffman: dramaturgical theory, front and back stage i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers