SOCL 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Social Order, Conflict Theories, Social System

33 views2 pages

Document Summary

Karina da rosa: conceptual foundations, what social theory is and why we need it i. Theory: the facts never speak for themselves, concepts i. Helps us grapple with social reality: models i. Social order that help us pose vital questions: what types of societies exist, how is social order maintained, what major structural changes occur, four dominant theories in sociology, functionalism i. Key tenets: societies are like living systems, all living systems have functional prerequisites that must i. ii. iii. iv. Karl marx: ruling ideas of any era are the combined ideas of the ruling class, society is based on the exploitation of the producing class ii. Norms and values are often used as weapons in the hands of the privileged to maintain their rule c. Interactionism: micro-level theory, face to face interactions as opposed to interactions between groups (macro-level) ii. Keys to interactionism: social life is governed by shared meaning and norms, established and maintained in face to face.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers