BIOL 1121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek, Robert Hooke, Pathogenic Bacteria

61 views4 pages

Document Summary

Karina da rosa: history of microbiology a. 1674 : microbiology is born: antony van leeuwenhoek, observed the first microbes, known as animalcules, robert hooke, described the microscopical mushroom, microorganisms, microorganisms are organisms invisible to the naked eye, bacteria, protozoa (single celled eukaryotes), fungi, algae ii. First life forms on earth : 3. 5 billion years ago: plants, animals and modern microorganisms all derived from ancestral bacteria, the spontaneous generation i. ii. Complex life forms can arise from nonliving material. Redi"s experiment: three jars all containing meat : unsealed, gauze-covered, and sealed : testing to see if maggots with appear, conclusion : no eggs => no worms => no spontaneous generation iii. End of the dispute: 1876 : endospores are discovered, heat-resistant form of bacteria, explains differences between lab results, historical events in microbiology i. Robert koch: connecting the dots to disease, observed blood of both healthy and sick animals i. ii. iii. iv.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers