TE 150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Social Cognitive Theory, Children'S Book Council Of Australia, Observational Learning

61 views3 pages
18 Aug 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Social cognitive theory (sct: social: social influences such as models, teachers, experts, cognitive: cognitive influences such as thinking, believing, expecting, self-regulating. It depends: perso(cid:374): joh(cid:374)(cid:374)(cid:455)"s (cid:373)oti(cid:448)atio(cid:374), a(cid:271)ilit(cid:455), (cid:271)eliefs, a(cid:374)d out(cid:272)o(cid:373)e e(cid:454)pectation, behavior: remaining seated during silent reading time, e(cid:374)(cid:448)iro(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t: tea(cid:272)her"s e(cid:454)pe(cid:272)tatio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d feed(cid:271)a(cid:272)k. 5 core premises of sct: observational learning, outcome expectations, perceived self-efficacy, goal setting, self-regulation. Consequences: what will happen: personal beliefs about what consequences are most likely to follow particular behaviors, ex: if i turn in my assignment on time, i will not get penalized, expectations formed through prior experiences and observing others. Influences on self-regulation: metacognitive knowledge, motivation, volition (will-power) Strengths of sct: acknowledgement of both cognitive and social influences, easily applicable to authentic social situations, address an important part of human functioning: how we learn and adapt. Limitations of sct: theory assumes that changes in the environment will automatically lead to changes in the person.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers