MAC 146 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Erich Pommer, F. W. Murnau, German Expressionism

38 views2 pages

Document Summary

Fay light: 9 lights in a square grid, small lights in clusters, changes nature of light, has a different look. This allows you to shoot in the street. German expressionism: german expressionism flourished in europe during wwi, ended when currency became more stable and us films were cheaper to buy, expressionist directors emigrated to us as nazis rose to power. It explored themes like death and destruction: portrait of humanity is emotionally charged, complete ambivalence toward modernity. The advent of modern warfare (the airplane, the tank, chemical weapons) famous directors. The big heat after emigration to us: characteristics of german expressionist film. Lighting set up: three point lighting set up. Brightest key light, where the light appears to be coming from for the most part. Fill light is(cid:374)"t as i(cid:374)te(cid:374)se, a(cid:374)d fills i(cid:374) shado(cid:449)s to (cid:373)ake (cid:373)o(cid:396)e e(cid:448)e(cid:374) illu(cid:373)i(cid:374)atio(cid:374) (cid:894)(cid:374)ot totally e(cid:395)ual, do(cid:374)"t (cid:449)a(cid:374)t to flatte(cid:374) su(cid:271)je(cid:272)ts fa(cid:272)e(cid:895) Key and fill light create just enough shadow to produce depth.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers