PSYC 2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Fundamental Attribution Error, Confirmation Bias, Social Influence

25 views5 pages
19 Dec 2015
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The branch of psychology that studies how the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of individuals are influenced by the real, imagined =, or implied, presence of others. Attribution theory-fritz heider (1958: people try to make casual sense of their world. We overestimate dispositional factors and underestimate situational factors. People tend to look internally when successful (i made an a because. I"m smart) and look outside when failures occur (i made a bad grade because that teacher is ridiculous). The fae is an example of common error in our thinking. We also sometimes show biased thinking: social categorization effect for example, use of heuristics, evidence of bias (such as confirmation bias) Attitude a global and enduring positive or negative evaluation. Examples: i like psychology, i am against raising tuition, school is beneficial. Persuasion: convince someone of the merits of a position by presenting arguments. Goal is to change a person"s attitude.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers