HIST 2055 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Puritans, Company Rule In India

35 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Background for english settlement: differs how from spanish pattern, difference in areas they settled, rather than incorporation (spanish) replacement (english) b. i. Part is nature of english society; part is excess population enclosure (private land owners fence in their land) b. i. 1. Wandering poor people moving from countryside to city b. i. 2. Those with money want to ship the poor to america or: english have no centralized empire. Everyone agrees that any colonies they find belong to the king a. ii. Not only don"t create overall bureaucracy, they use various ways to settle a. ii. 1. Company colonies/proprietary colonies settlement by: two overall patterns privatization. Initial settlements 1607, jamestown followed by new england b. i. b. ii. Over time, colonies tend to become more like and more involved in. Settling the chesapeake: virginia and maryland: a deadly company a. Goal: 17th century venture capitalists send 104 people to virginia and settle jamestown a. iii. Local chief, pouhattan, is in a position of trying to consolidate his power a. iii. 1.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers