BIOL 2051 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Yellow Fever, Base Pair, Hepatitis D

25 views14 pages
25 Aug 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter outline: a basic overview of viruses, origins of viruses, cultivation, purification, & quantification of viruses, diversity of viruses, virus-like particles, virology today. Walter reed showed in 1901 that a human disease, yellow fever, was caused by a virus transmitted by mosquitos: structure of viruses: d. i. Intracellular obligate parasites (have to be inside a host cell in order to do anything) Genomes typically between a few thousand to d. i. 2. d. i. 3. There are exceptions to the small size of viruses. d. i. 4. a. Megacirus (a virus of amoebas) has a genome over 1. 2 megabase pairs, encodes 1,200 proteins! d. i. 4. b. 400 nm in diameter, with a 1. 2 megabase pair genome coding for 979 proteins! d. i. 5. Genome can be made up of single or double- stranded dna or rna. Protein covering (capsid) around genome composed of many capsomere proteins d. i. 6. a. Some have envelope (plasma membrane around capsid) d. ii. Tube made up of 100"s of identical protein subunits d. ii. 2. b. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers