PHIL 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Cheeseburger, Universal Rule, Categorical Imperative

81 views4 pages

Document Summary

Moral theories: ethical egoism the self-interest of an individual judging the act is taken into consideration a. i. Objective theory about self-interest (defined in terms of benefit ) a. ii. Deals only with the consequence of actions a. ii. 1. a. Panichas can steal boots because in the end it makes him happy and serves his best interest a. ii. 2. It may be morally right to me if i steal from jenny but is morally wrong for jenny if i steal from jenny a. ii. 3. Violates crp (consistency results principle)- problem for every absolutistic theory a. ii. 3. a. Acceptable ethical theories have results that are the same (no inconsistent results) a. ii. 4. Operates on a zero sum game not giving anybody else any reason to 0take your interests into account: utilitarianism -look to the overall consequence or the greatest good for the greatest people b. i. An act is good if it produces the greatest good. Takes the interest of everyone into account (therefore does not value crp) b. i. 3.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers