MARKET 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 39: Pragmatics, Formal Language, Deixis

22 views4 pages
15 Sep 2020
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The relation between language and its users. The relation between utterances to their situational and communicative context. Locutionary act: act of saying something (what does the sentence mean) Illocutionary act: act performed in saying (what is the function of the utterance) Perlocutionary act: act performed by saying something (what effect does that utterance have on the hearer) There is a piece of fish on the table. Locutionary act: the speaker states that a piece of fish is positioned on the table. Illocutionary act: request that the waiter removes it. Perlocutionary act: the waiter takes it away/is annoyed/ignores the guest. 5types of illocutionary acts: assertive: a statement (with truth claim) is made. I was born in cologne: commissive: speaker commits herself to future action. I will help you with your homework: directive: used to make people do something do the dishes, expressive: express one"s own feelings and attitudes. I love christmas season: declaration: making a change/something by saying the utterance.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers