CO SCI 136 Lecture 10:

8 views9 pages
11 Sep 2020
School

Document Summary

Psychology is the science of human behavior and its underlying mental processes. Psychology is mostly about normal behavior you can only identify mentally ill is if you know what normal is. Stimulus: everything offered to an organism to provoke a reaction. Response: measurable reaction to a stimulus: behavior and mental processes have no supernatural origin, but rather a material one, an individual changes based on experience, humankind was shaped by evolution, natural selection. Rene descartes (1596-1650) : believed the body was a complex machine. Believe that humans were not totally mechanic because of conscious thought. Pineal gland is what connected body and mind. He believes the body plays an important role. Dualism: i have a brain vs i am my brain. Qualia: it"s not about something itself it"s about the subjective quality of an observable though or memory. There is a material origin-no mind just stimulus->response. Main psychologists founder of this school of thought hobbes: nature vs nurture.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers