SOCI 4432 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Homicide, Justifiable Homicide, Capitalism

39 views4 pages
5 Oct 2017
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

An interdisciplinary field of study that uses the scientific method to study the nature, extent, cause, and control of criminal behavior. Includes the processes of making laws, breaking laws, and of reacting to the breaking of laws (sutherland and cressey) Call for rational, fair, & balanced approach to crime & punishment. Using their free will, people choose to engage in criminal behavior when it offers easier solutions to needs and problems; fear of punishment is not greater than the perceived gain. Aimed to identify unique physical characteristics & psychological traits of criminals. Cri(cid:373)i(cid:374)al (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior (cid:449)as i(cid:374)herited a(cid:374)d that (cid:862)(cid:271)or(cid:374) (cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)als(cid:863) (cid:272)a(cid:374) (cid:271)e ide(cid:374)tified (cid:271)y primitive features (large jaws, sharp teeth) Crime is normal because it exists in all societies. Crime is useful because it can lead to social change. Structural changes can lead to anomie (lack of norms) which can lead to criminal behaviors. Furthered sociological positivism by focusing on how neighborhood conditions.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers