CRJU 4430 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Victimology, Social Stigma

44 views1 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Impact of financial crime: (more) costs of victimization: Financial- loss of house, car, savings, inheritance, college funds; debt/ bankruptcy. Mental, emotional, and social- anger and depression; loss of trust; substance abuse, suicide, divorce; dependence on others. Physical- high blood pressure, heart problems, strokes, sleep problems, weight problems, etc. Second insult- system participation: feeling re-victimized by the criminal justice system. Lack of sensitivity for victims (they are evidence before they are people; the goal of the system is to close cases by investigating and finding facts which can appear insensitive to the needs of the victim). Lack of information about the process (no updates to the (cid:448)i(cid:272)ti(cid:373) a(cid:271)out (cid:862)their (cid:272)ase(cid:863)(cid:895). Ti(cid:373)e i(cid:374)te(cid:374)si(cid:448)e (cid:894)lo(cid:374)g (cid:449)aits at (cid:272)ourt house to testify, i(cid:374)se(cid:374)siti(cid:448)e to the (cid:448)i(cid:272)ti(cid:373)"s life schedules, etc. The crime victim"s decision making process: (short answer question material) Is there a victim (how similar is the event to the victim"s defi(cid:374)itio(cid:374)(cid:895).

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers