POSC 225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Antonin Scalia, Voting Rights Act Of 1965, Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee

27 views3 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Selma: key groups and individuals (in addition to mlk and lbj) a. i. Edgar hoover, fbi director: key events b. i. Protest at count courthouse re: voter registration b. iii. Shooting death of jimmy lee jackson during march in marion, al b. iv. Bloody sunday crossing of edmund pettis bridge b. iv. 2. March from selma to montgomery b. v. lbj"s speech before congress on voting rights: key themes c. i. Capacity of protest movements to exert pressure on elected officials c. i. 1. Within movements, disagreement over priorities, tactics c. v. first amendment right to peaceably assemble c. v. 1. Congress shall make no law abridging the right of the people peaceably to assemble : why the importance of ensuring voting rights in the south? d. i. And why did lbj prefer to set it aside for a while ? d. i. 1. Influence lawmaking by electing people: voting rights act most important civil rights achievement e. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers