POSC 225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Barry Goldwater, Fokker E.Ii, Strom Thurmond

25 views4 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

14th granted citizenship; equal protection: republicans dominated southern legislatures for a few years: b. i. Ended when white democrats won back control of tn and va b. ii. By 1877 all former confederate states had reverted to white democratic control: african americans began to lose power c. i. Reconstruction officially ended with the election of 1876 c. iv. 1877 all federal troops pulled out of the south. Grandfather clause provided to protect poor and illiterate whites a. ii. 4. a. By 1910 less than 10% of southern black males were voting a. ii. 4. a. i. Emergence of civil rights: fdr and the great depression a. i. The new deal a. i. 1. a. i. 2. a. i. 3. a. i. 4. a. i. 5. Rooted out racial discrimination in the distribution of relief aid. Justice department rejuvenated its civil rights decision a. ii. Wooing of black voters by democratic party a. ii. 1. Shift from the party of lincoln to party of roosevelt a. ii. 2. Truman in 1948 openly courted black votes a. ii. 2. a. Integrated armed services, sponsored civil rights bill (failed in senate) a. ii. 3.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers