MUS 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Tone Row, Moonstruck, Sprechgesang

49 views2 pages
28 Mar 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Igor stravinsky: 18822-1970, born in russia, later became u. s. citizen, studied with rimsky-korsakov, avant-garde composer, rhythm. Neoclassicism: revival of musical forms and styles from earlier eras, with 20th centuries harmonies and rhythms reaction to romanticism and impressionism, (cid:862)bach to bach(cid:863, absolute music, tra(cid:448)i(cid:374)sky"s octet for (cid:449)i(cid:374)d i(cid:374)stru(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts. The rite of spring: ballet score for ballet russe, primitivism, deliberate evocation of primitive power through insistent rhythms and percussion, russian folk music, rhythms. Irregular accents: ostinatos, pattern that repeats, riot at premier. Intense emotion: evard munch, the scream, shock, communicates tensions and anguish of humankind. Arnold schoenberg: 1874-1951, vienna, lived in u. s. Jewish: fled during wwii, painter, atonality, without tonality, 12 tone scale. Pierrot lunaire: (cid:862)moo(cid:374)struck pierrot(cid:863, weird poems about a sad clown, female vocalist with 8 instrument ensemble, sprechstimme, half singing, half speaking. Tone row: ordered row of pitches, no key organization, matrix.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers