HUM 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: 1755 Lisbon Earthquake, Anabaptism, Storm Bay

34 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
Candide & Oryx and Crake
Essay topic #3, #6, #7
- Main theme for both novels
- Atood’s oe oeed ith the futue of iilizatio ad its liits
o Are humans really meant to be civilized beings
o Civilization begins in chapter 3 when they are kicked out of the garden (Adam
has to grow his own food)
o Farms are the first step towards cities and civilized life
- Environmentalist angle, what kind of civilization possible for us in the future?
- What would life had been like before the fall
- Chapter #5
- One of the saddest chapters
- Jacque the Anabaptist is killed
- The employer is a Holland based manufacturer of rugs, they (all 3) go to Lisbon on
business, horrible storm and ship is torn apart, nasty sailor attacks Jaque and the nasty
sailor falls overboard, (because Jacque is such a good personraised by Anabaptists) he
is forgiving and compassionate and jumps into the sea who just attacked him, Jaque
saves the sailor but then the sailor watches as Jacque drowns in the sea without a worry
- Jacque and the Anabaptists should be more careful about who they choose to help.
- Jacue is’t hoose eough about who his rescue he comes to.
- Candide initially thinks about helping Jacque, diving in, Dr. Candloss stops him from
helping because he says that it as eat to e asially
- Sailor, Candide, and Dr. Candloss survive the storm
- Bay of Lisbon
- Opriory??? do’t iole a use of the seses, o histoial, dioed fo ealit
- 3 manage to get to shore, the sailor separate from the other 2
- Horrific earthquake occurredhistoric event Nov. 1st 1755 The great Lisbon earthquake
- Candide is injured, some falling stones hit him, Pangloss is continuing to theorize in his
own stupid way instead of helping candide
o Eath uake i Liso has to e oeted to the Aeias – theorize
- Pangloss still not helping candide, he does not have a grasp of the social world
- Trying to assist the survivors of the horrific tragedy
- Offie of the iuisitio, It ould see that the getlea does ot eliee i oigial
si
- If you say original sin is the best of all possible worldsthis is heretical
- Pagloss ties to oet ad sas Ada ad ee ad all that had to happe to ake
the old as good as it is ight o
- You do not believe in free will!
- Disobedience is the evidence that they are free
- Pangloss tries to correct again, then officer gives pourer of wine the signal to put ruffee
i pagloass’s glass eause he is a heeti ad eeds to die
- Pangloss is a heretic and Candide is in agreement with him so they are both arrested for
being a heretic
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

What would life had been like before the fall. The employer is a holland based manufacturer of rugs, they (all 3) go to lisbon on. Jacque and the anabaptists should be more careful about who they choose to help. Jac(cid:395)ue is(cid:374)"t (cid:272)hoose(cid:455) e(cid:374)ough about who his rescue he comes to. Candide initially thinks about helping jacque, diving in, dr. candloss stops him from helping because he says that (cid:862)it (cid:449)as (cid:373)ea(cid:374)t to (cid:271)e(cid:863) (cid:271)asi(cid:272)ally. Sailor, candide, and dr. candloss survive the storm. Do(cid:374)"t i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)e a(cid:374)(cid:455) use of the se(cid:374)ses, o(cid:396) histo(cid:396)i(cid:272)al, di(cid:448)o(cid:396)(cid:272)ed fo(cid:396)(cid:373) (cid:396)ealit(cid:455) 3 manage to get to shore, the sailor separate from the other 2. Horrific earthquake occurred historic event nov. 1st 1755 the great lisbon earthquake. Candide is injured, some falling stones hit him, pangloss is continuing to theorize in his own stupid way instead of helping candide: (cid:862)ea(cid:396)th (cid:395)uake i(cid:374) lis(cid:271)o(cid:374) has to (cid:271)e (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:374)e(cid:272)ted to the a(cid:373)e(cid:396)i(cid:272)as(cid:863) theorize.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers