PSY-P 304 Lecture 6: 5 - 17 Impression Formation

10 views2 pages

Document Summary

5-17: actor observer effect when explaining similar behaviors, the tendency to make personal attributions for the behavior of others & situational attributions for our own behavior, somewhat opposite of fundamental attribution error. 2. (nisbet, et al, 1973) list of traits: possible responses a. i. Depends on situation: heuristics rules of thumb a. i. Simple efficient strategies for processing social information: respectiveness heuristic used to judge people based upon the degree to which then match a certain category b. i. Impression formation process of integrating different pieces of info (attributions) into a single, coherent picture: 2 models a. i. Elemental model we consider each attribute separately a. i. 1. a. i. 2. Attributes are independent of one another and are equal. Additive compiling a person"s attributes together over time into one final result a. i. 2. a. i. 1. Averaging (information integration theory) adding the sum of the attributes together to get the whole a. i. 2. a. ii. 1. Trained as a gestalt psychologist meaning changes according to context in which it is discovered a. ii. 2.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers