BIOL-Q 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Abo Blood Group System, Hemolytic Disease Of The Newborn, Rh Blood Group System

27 views4 pages
17 Aug 2016
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

If the d antigen is present, the individual is rh positive. Dd or dd: d antigen is present = rh positive. Second pregnancy involving rh-negative mother, rh- positive father, and rh-positive fetus: mother"s immune system is already producing anti- D antibodies: the anti-d antibodies cross the placenta, into the fetal circulation, they cause the destruction of the rh-positive red blood cells of the fetus. Result: hemolytic disease of the newborn: fetus may die or experience life-threatening anemia, rh incompatibility between mother and child, preventing hemolytic disease of the newborn. Immediately after an rh-negative woman gives birth to an rh-positive child, she must receive an injection of rho- The anti-d antibodies present in rho-gam cause the destruction of the rh-positive fetal red blood cells before the woman"s own immune system recognizes them and begins to make its own anti-d antibodies. I have b antigens on my red blood cells. I do not have a antigens on my red blood cells.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers