School
Department
Course
Professor
PREPARING TO PARTICIPATE
Chapter 9: Outlining the Presentation
Knowledge
Why is outlining important?
Outlining is important for presenting because it allows you to organize all of your
ideas logically and chronologically. It can give you a better image of how your speech
will flow while you are presenting. It also allows you to critically think and evaluate your
ideas. It was shown that outlining can improve grade scores because it makes you very
organized, and when you are organized, you are more confident in your words. This
technique can also help you prepare for exams or other lectures.
Application
Think of a time when you have heard someone present a lecture or a speech. Could you
identify the parts of the speech? Was the outline structure clear? If not, how could
outlining help the speaker?
Today in Bio we had to present on an influential person of science. Many of the
presentations seemed like there wasn’t enough time put into it because they were all
rushing to get through it. Honestly, the only reason why I knew if they were done talking
about a specific area was because of the PowerPoint slides behind them. If they didn’t
have the PowerPoint, I probably would have been very lost in what they were talking
about. Although, each slide had a main point as the title. Most presentations went from
their scientist’s background information, to their discoveries/inventions to their awards
and then to their current living status. No one really used transition words, including me,
so I’m sure it was difficult to follow along with what point I was going to make next.
Outlining could’ve helped us all become more prepared before presenting along with
clarity behind our words.
Knowledge
Define preparation outline.
List the seven guidelines for developing a preparation outline.
The seven guidelines for developing a preparation outline are:
1. Title/Purpose:
a. Describing the purpose for your writing is always a good step to start at.
2. Labeling:
a. Label the Intro, main points, and conclusion separately. Doing so will help
you organize your thoughts better and will help you check off all the
requirements needed for a certain presentation.
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Outlining is important for presenting because it allows you to organize all of your ideas logically and chronologically. It can give you a better image of how your speech will flow while you are presenting. It also allows you to critically think and evaluate your ideas. It was shown that outlining can improve grade scores because it makes you very organized, and when you are organized, you are more confident in your words. This technique can also help you prepare for exams or other lectures. Think of a time when you have heard someone present a lecture or a speech. Today in bio we had to present on an influential person of science. Many of the presentations seemed like there wasn"t enough time put into it because they were all rushing to get through it. Honestly, the only reason why i knew if they were done talking about a specific area was because of the powerpoint slides behind them.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers