HIST 1112 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Pope Gregory Xiii, Gregorian Calendar, Common Era

92 views3 pages
30 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

History is the systematic analysis of past events. One"s worldview influences one"s interpretation (worldview: ideas, beliefs, frames of reference) Culture: the way of life of a specific group of people. Civilization: highly developed culture with one or more of the following characteristics: Era: period of time with very specific historical information. The christian church (aka roman catholic church) is the most important institution in western europe. Middle ages were known as the age of faith . The classical world (greco-roman) believed to be the most important period of time. The medici family: bankers for rich people in europe. Yes i want to go to heaven, but i want to live my life now. Movement based on rigorous study of the classics (greek and roman texts) Francesco petrarch (1304- 1374): founder of the renaissance humanism. Laura cereta, defense of the liberal instruction of women. Believed that women also deserved a liberal education.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers