PSY-2012 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Standard Deviation, False Memory, Phineas Gage

40 views4 pages
23 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Basic research: basic research- general research to build a general base a. i. Ex: more people are likely to become alcoholic: applied- research trying to solve a specific problem b. i. Ex: best therapy to treat alcoholics: the mistakes we make & why, heuristics- mental shortcut in order to find answer to problems a. i. Availability- judging based on information based on in the memory. Ex: being afraid to fly due plane crash and not swimming in ocean based on shark attacks a. ii. Representative- judging the likelihood of something based on how well it matches something. Person perceive as a feminist a. ii. 1. with an outgoing based on description. a. iii. Algorithms- a formula that will guarantee an absolute answer: biases b. i. Confirmation- only looking for information that supports a theory but will ignore contradictory evidence b. ii. Hindsight- once has all the information predicts that something will happen b. iii. Overconfidence: common sense- errors due to heuristics and biases c. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers