CPO-3703 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Proportional Representation, Universal Windows Platform Apps, Instant-Runoff Voting

36 views5 pages

Document Summary

Slavery and a prelude to the american civil war. Changes in international attitudes/morals: britain abolished slavery in 1833. Economic shifts towards cotton production in the south made slavery a particularly contentious issue. What does this not explain? (middle of p. 221) James monroe last d-r candidate to win the presidency in 1820. Ran effectively unopposed, garnered +80% of popular and all. The most contentious issue of the day was the issue of slavery in the territories. Jeffe(cid:396)so(cid:374) des(cid:272)(cid:396)i(cid:271)ed the missou(cid:396)i (cid:272)o(cid:373)p(cid:396)o(cid:373)ise as a (cid:862)fi(cid:396)e (cid:271)ell i(cid:374) (cid:374)ight(cid:863) Jackson prevailed in 1828, effectively quashing the whigs of the north. Lincoln secured a plurality of the popular vote. Slavery was strategically introduced as an issue by outsiders trying to break up a dominant coalition. Plurality electoral systems: smd/fptp, sntv, single member district plurality, or first past the post (fptp, wasted votes go no where, the combination of single member districts and plurality elections leads to.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers