AMH-2020 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Trachoma, Junk Science, Ahold

30 views2 pages
21 Oct 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The germ theory: scientists learn that diseases are caused by the spread of micro-organisms (germs, sound science, poor application, widespread belief that immigrants are inherently germy, trachoma- example of learning how germs are spread. To relate intelligence of french students to see who needed extra help: potential problems. Ma(cid:374)y differe(cid:374)t ki(cid:374)ds of i(cid:374)tellige(cid:374)(cid:272)e, (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t (cid:373)easure all of the(cid:373) Needed to use objective quantitative scale, not subjective qualitative scale. American psychologists get ahold of the tests and create a scale from idiot to imbecile to moron and relate the scale to race. Ellis island: 1892-1954, processed over 12 million immigrants, process. Migrants still on ships, organized by class, they are examined while still on ship. Immigrants in steerage class are forced to walk upstairs while they are watched to see if they are healthy. This was difficult because many of the immigrants were uneducated. 80% of the i(cid:373)(cid:373)igra(cid:374)ts were (cid:862)fee(cid:271)le (cid:373)i(cid:374)ded(cid:863)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers